What is DIY
Most people like to save money. They clip coupons. They shop for the best bargain on things they want or need. This works well when it comes to groceries and other items, but how about other often expensive things like putting down a wood floor in their home, or replacing the washer on that leaky faucet? Some people are a little fearful of this hands-on approach, but let’s take a look at exactly what DIY entails. What is DIY?
Think About that What is DIY mean
What is DIY? The classic definition of DIY or Do It Yourself is, “the activity of decorating, building, and making repairs at home by oneself rather than employing a professional. DIY avoids the difficult relationship between the householder and professional decorator". So, DIY Means is to do your work yourself rather than employing a professional.
Some folks are just not mechanically, or construction-oriented, but if a person is willing to do a little research, talk to people, ask family or friends, and willing to know and acknowledge their limits, they can DIY. It is also important to remember to start small projects first. This can be because they just need a few small things done, or to get their feet wet when it comes to doing it yourself.
Research is Key in DIY
- No matter how big or small the project may be, its important to do the research beforehand. While it may be that the project is something simple, like stopping that dripping faucet, but still it pays to research what the cause of the drip maybe.
- Going in with some foreknowledge will help with the purchase of needed supplies like tools and parts. Nothing could be worse (metaphorically speaking) than starting a project like that dripping faucet and find you do not have the right wrench or washer to fix it.
- In today’s electronic media world, there are literally thousands of videos on YouTube and other sites. These videos can help one diagnose the problem. You can learn exactly what tools and supplies or parts you need for DIY/do it yourself. Most videos will actually walk you through the process and you can pause the video at any time. This is to replicate what the expert is demonstrating.
- Home improvement stores have learned the value of being customer friendly as well. Many offer classes at certain times of the year. In the spring, they may have landscaping classes. In the fall, how to winterize your HVAC and other classes that can save you time and money. Of course, these classes are biased toward their products, but they are a business after all and DIY/Do it yourself projects count.
- If you have done your research and you still get that sinking and hopeless feeling in your stomach whenever you think about starting a project, you may be better off to bite the bullet and ask a family member or close friend their opinion. There is no shame in asking for help when you need it.
Advantages and Disadvantages of DIY
NO EXPERIENCE: If you are decorating or repairing something at home, you don't need to be an experienced person. What you think is good, you can do. Putting and keeping a thing or replacing them with one another is not that difficult.
AFFORDABLE: It is because you are not doing any rocket science here. You are just decorating and repairing things at your home and you better understand what to do or what is not to be done.
FLEXIBILITY IN TIME: If you are doing things yourself than it is up to you when you have time and when you want to do. Do don't have to go with the time given by someone else. If you will hire someone for your work that he will give you a time slot under which you have to be there to keep eyes on them.
HASSLE: DIY means Do It Yourself. Doing things yourself means you will have to do that all you want to change. If it is heavy work then you will have to face that.
HEAVY LIFTING: In case heavy work for repair you will have to do all heavy lifting yourself. All the things you will have to arrange.
RISK: It is a big factor. If you are not hiring an expert for the work and you are not enough experienced, there will be some risk. This may cause harm to your precious things.
LESS TIME CONSUMING: You don't have to wait for an expert. You don't have to go with the time slot of an expert. You can start working as soon as possible and finish whenever you want.
SELF DEVELOPMENT: If you do your work you will develop your skills and you will be able to work efficiently. This way you will reduce the extra cost.
Peoples were asking for what is DIY mean, so it stands for "Do It Yourself". There are many different levels of DIY. The important thing is that the job gets done and you save money, right? Don’t forget the satisfaction that comes along with a job well done by you when you Do it yourself.